OPEN CALL FOR CONNECTIONS 3.0
Performing Arts Platform Aarhus is pleased to announce an open call for three joint residencies for professional emerging choreographers. The residencies take place in Aarhus/Central Denmark Region during the autumn of 2019.
CONNECTIONS is a resource provided by Performing Arts Platform in 2017-19 to connect fellow artists in order to create, share artistic practice and explore the potential for future collaboration and production in Aarhus/Central Denmark Region. The program is open to emerging professional choreographers based in Denmark in a joint residency with a choreographer based abroad. Throughout your joint residency you commit to assist, push, inspire and challenge each other artistically – and to engage with the wider community.
3½ weeks joint residency in Aarhus/Central Denmark Region including:
– Studio/work space, facilitation, mentoring and networking opportunities.
– Accommodation provided in B&B or equivalent.
– Travel expenses to/from Aarhus.
– A grant of 10,000 DKK per person (approximately € 1,340) to cover basic expenses.
– The opportunity to bring up to four additional dancers/crew. Accommodation, travel and grants covered by Performing Arts Platform.
CONNECTIONS 3.1: August 26th – September 19th 2019
CONNECTIONS 3.2: September 16th – October 10th 2019
CONNECTIONS 3.3: October 7th – October 31st 2019
We call for joint applications between a Denmark based choreographer (main applicant) and a choreographer from abroad (partnering applicant). Residencies will be granted to choreographers who demonstrate a strong motivation for experimenting creatively in close collaboration with his/her partner, and express a genuine interest in exploring the possibilities Aarhus/the region has to offer e.g. in terms of network, people, resources or facilities. CONNECTIONS is aimed at emerging choreographers with professional credentials in the dance/art industry. We define “emerging” as:
– Artists at the beginning of their professional career, for whom the program would be a starting point; an opportunity to learn from fellow artists and strengthen local and international connections.
– A new dance company or a collaborative in the making, for whom the program would be an opportunity to try out new constellations.
– Choreographers who are in an artistic transition (e.g. an experienced choreographer transitioning to a different genre or format), for whom the program would be an opportunity to learn new stuff, try out new approaches, take risks.
CONNECTIONS is a research and development residency. Your joint residency can be used to begin a new creative process or to develop existing work – and to make new connections for the future. Each CONNECTIONS program offers studio research time, networking opportunities and access to local mentors or sparring partners relevant to your work proposal, e.g. within the arts field or within production, creative entrepreneurship, management, the sciences or other interdisciplinary fields. The selected choreographers are not expected to produce a finished work. We expect you to give an informal ‘morning briefing’ at the beginning of your stay, and that you and your partner conduct a joint public sharing session towards the end; a work demo, an improvisation, a site specific ‘walk & talk’ or whatever format suits your purpose best. While this shared session marks the end of your residency it is also the beginning of a new. The overlap between each program serves as a meeting point between you/your partner and the following CONNECTIONS residents; a creative hub providing a unique opportunity to share knowledge and expand your network to fellow artists from Denmark and beyond.
Performing Arts Platform is based in Aarhus but reaches out to the rest of Central Denmark Region too. We strongly encourage applicants to propose ideas for regional outreach. Which organisations, educational institutions, theatres, scholars or others in our region would be relevant for you to get in touch with during your residency? Previous residents have been in contact with e.g. Black Box Dance Company in Holstebro, Secret Hotel in Mols, Innovation Lab in Aarhus, the Animation Workshop in Viborg, ARoS Aarhus Art Museum, and many more. Please include some thoughts about your regional outreach in the application.